-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Random shutdown/restarts

  • From: "T. Hunt" <ilrover@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2004 11:10:47 -0500

Have you been online since the re-format?  If so, you could have been
re-infected. It can happen almost immediately since there are still so many
unpatched servers out there.
If you're running XP while the shutdowns occur, check the error logs and
also UNcheck the "Automatic reboot on Error" setting.

If the error occurs without running XP, start at the beginning and unplug
one device in the system at a time and see if the shutdown re-occurs;  if
not, unplug one more device. Once you get down to the motherboard, RAM,
video card, power supply and floppy drive, start substituting known good
devices.  Also, connect everything to a working UPS so that small sags in
the house voltage can be eliminated.

Make sure the CPU / heatsink connection is a good one so that heat is
actually being drawn away from the CPU.

Since the system has 3 sticks of RAM, find some way to determine what the
specs are for each piece.  All PC133 RAM is not the same.  Different chip
speeds, CAS latency specs and double or single sided can have an effect on
how well the 3 modules play together.  Some PC133 modules will not run well
at 100MHz.

Tom