-=PCTechTalk=- Re: RAM question

  • From: "GMan" <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 20:29:14 -0500

Hi Bob,
    Both WinXP Home & Pro are designed to recognize up to 4GB of RAM.  WinXP
Pro X64 will recognize up to 128GB, but good luck finding a mainboard
that'll hold that much.       lol

    The /3GB switch for Boot.ini is to tell Windows to reserve the lower 3GB
for programs and such (user mode processes).  The Windows kernel mode
processes will then all load above 3GB.  The details are available at the
link below, but it can only be used when more than 3GB of RAM is loaded.

GMan