-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Quick Time

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 May 2008 22:00:15 -0400

Beverly,
    In replying to the post you sent privately, it is indeed a charm.
:O)

    However, it appears that you have no extensions running at all, so
there's nothing there to block these QuickTime files (at least in Firefox).
QuickTime operates similar to the way Flash works (accessible to the entire
system), except that QuickTime installs a plugin for each browser it finds.
I am wondering if that plugin simply hasn't been installed yet or if some
part of the QuickTime program itself is just a bit corrupted.  To find out,
you'll need to dig a little into the settings for QuickTime to see if
there's an area where you can tell it to also provide support for your
Firefox browser.  Firefox uses nearly the same code as the
now-decommissioned Netscape browser and both of those are based on code from
the Mozilla group.  I'm only telling you all of that so that you can look
any of those three names (Firefox, Netscape & Mozilla) during your poking
and prodding.  you can then reply and tell me what you're seeing and we'll
tell you back what to do (or try).

    I don't have QuickTime on my own system (I haven't used it in years), so
I cannot tell you exactly how to get to the settings/options/preferences.
However, it should be as easy as opening up a .QT file on your hard drive to
bring up the main window (you can immediately pause the file, if desired).
There should be a way to bring up this options area from there.

"The only dumb questions are the ones we fail to ask!"