-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Quick Time

  • From: GuitarMan <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 22:03:52 -0400

Hi Beverly,
    I'm now looking at your list of plugins as well as the filetype
assignment images you just sent me.  Well, it looks like QuickTime has come
close to taking over your system, although that's not entirely accurate.
What's happened here is that QuickTime has asserted itself as the primary
player for most of these filetypes.  In my own firefox install, the vast
majority of these filetypes aren't even listed, so it looks like QuickTime
introduced many of them to the browser.  Most likely, QT was the last
multimedia player to be installed, so it had the last word in what it was
allowed to do.

    So, my question then needs to be, "Are you too enamoured with QuickTime
to let me show you how to take at least some of these associations away from
it?"  My expectation is that associating these filetypes with another media
player, you'll gain back at least some of the functionality you crave.  If
it doesn't work or its limited success is not enough to free up the files
you are after, the next step would be to uninstall QuickTime to reassociate
those filetypes with their previous defaults.

    Let me know what you think and we'll go from there.    :O)

Peace,
Gman