-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Quick Time

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 22:10:22 -0400

Beverly,
    I don't think of it as you being thick.  I consider the whole world of
computing as far more complicated than it should be.      lol

    The answer to your main question here can best be answered by saying Yes
& No.  Yes there are other plugins that can handle these types of files
without the help of QuickTime.  But No, not every possible type of file can
be handled by just the plugins you currently have installed.  I hope that
makes sense.  It now sounds like Flash is broken, so QuickTime is trying to
pick up the slack (and failing for its own reasons).  I do believe we can
get this working for you, but it may take a few more steps before you
experience joy.        :O)

    The reply you sent with your Plugin list bounced for some reason, but I
was still able to read it in the bounce report I received.  However, with
this new strategy of considering the removal of QuickTime, I have one more
task for you.  This time, from within Firefox I need you to go to Tools >
Options and then to the Content tab.  Click on the Manage button at the
bottom (File types area) and another window will open.  Make this window as
large as it needs to be to see all of its contents and then snap me a pic of
it.  This will tell me exactly which plugins are used for each type of
multimedia file you come across.  You can then send it to my private addy.

    After sending me the screenshot, I'd like you to follow the instructions
for repairing your installation of Flash.  I sent these in a while ago, but
Adobe has updated Flash again since then.  So, here are the updated
directions.

******************************
Here's the info for getting Flash working optimally.
(formerly made by Macromedia; now owned by Adobe)
Well, all browsers use a multimedia add-on called Flash whenever a Flash
oriented object is called by the page that's displaying.  As new versions of
Flash are released, the add-on will eventually update itself whenever newer
Flash objects are called.  In other words, if the object was made with
Flash 6, your browser will first check to see if you already have version 6
or above.  If not, it'll first download the newer flash, install it and then
finally render the object.  The problem that's recently come up is that the
newer versions will replace and files that are being updated, but it never
removes any that are no longer needed.  For whatever reason, version 8 (the
latest one) is having problems doing what it does with at least one of the
older files still hanging around.  The only cure for this is for you to
download a special Flash uninstaller that wipes out everything ever related
to Flash, reboot and then install the latest version again.  While I cannot
say with any certainty that this will fix your issues, it will certainly fix
any
issues that are a direct result of this Flash problem (most are).  The links
for downloading the two files are below.

Uninstaller (tiny)
http://tinyurl.com/ngqro

Adobe Flash Player 9 (42 MB)
http://tinyurl.com/6zd8kf

"The only dumb questions are the ones we fail to ask!"