-=PCTechTalk=- Re: PLEASE HELP

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 20:18:47 -0800

Hi Pat,
he is the victim of browser hijacking or a hacker has infected his computer.

I have this info an a web page as well;
http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/Homepage_Hijacking.html

Here is a list of program that I have found that work well to help remove or
prevent Hijacking.
The program descriptions come from the web sites, and is more detailed than
what I have provided here.

Ad-aware
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
Ad-aware Standard Edition is THE award winning, free*, multicomponent
detection and removal utility that consistently leads the industry in
safety, user satisfaction, support and reliability.
With its ability to comprehensively scan your memory, registry, hard,
removable and optical drives for known datamining, aggressive advertising,
and tracking components, Ad-aware will provide the user with the confidence
to surf the Internet knowing that their privacy will remain intact. Let
Ad-aware protect your privacy.

Browser Parasite List
http://allentech.net/parasite/list.phtml
Below is a list of all browser parasites currently in our database. Click on
any parasite name to see the full information we have available. Please note
that filenames, registry keys and paths sometimes change faster than we can
keep up, so your system may vary from the information we present here.

"Homepage Hijacking" a form of spyware.
http://tiemdesign.com/features/hijacking.htm
You have been surfing all over the web for hours and hours, you close your
browser and take a break. You come back to your PC a few hours later and
fire up your browser.
Wait a minute! That isn't my home page! What happened to my home page? You
realize that your normal home page is no longer there and some new page is
there and pop-up ads start appearing from out of no where, even when your
browser is closed.

HijackThis 1.97.6
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=3D3155
HijackThis, a general homepage hijackers detector and remover. Initially
based on the article Hijacked!, but expanded with almost a dozen other
checks against hijacker tricks. It is continually updated to detect and
remove new hijacks. It does not target specific programs/URLs, just the
methods used by hijackers to force you onto their sites. As a result, false
positives are imminent and unless you are sure what you're doing, you should
always consult with knowledgable folks (e.g. the forums) before deleting
anything.

Spybot - Search & Destroy
http://spybot.eon.net.au/
Spybot - Search & Destroy can detect and remove spyware of different kinds
from your computer. Spyware is a relatively new kind of threat that common
anti-virus applications do not yet cover. If you see new toolbars in your
Internet Explorer that you didn't intentionally install, if your browser
crashes, or if your browser start page has changed without your knowing, you
most probably have spyware. But even if you don't see anything, you may be
infected, because more and more spyware is emerging that is silently
tracking your surfing behaviour to create a marketing profile of you that
will be sold to advertisement companies. Spybot-S&D is free, so there's no
harm in trying to see if something snooped into your computer, too :)

SpywareBlaster
SpywareBlaster doesn't scan and clean for spyware - it prevents it from ever
being installed.
By setting a "kill bit" for spyware ActiveX controls, SpywareBlaster can
prevent the installation of any spyware ActiveX controls from a webpage. It
does this while not interfering with "friendly" ActiveX controls - so your
browser can work correctly and you can have peace of mind!

SpywareGuard 2.2
http://www.wilderssecurity.net/spywareguard.html
SpywareGuard is compatible with: Windows 98, ME, 2000, XP
SpywareGuard provides a real-time protection solution against spyware that
is a great addition to SpywareBlaster's protection method.
An anti-virus program scans files before you open them and prevents
execution if a virus is detected - SpywareGuard does the same thing, but for
spyware! And you can easily have an anti-virus program running alongside
SpywareGuard.
SpywareGuard now also features Download Protection and Browser Hijacking
Protection!

StartPage Guard 2.2  mwn #705
http://www.securityconfig.com/software/cookie/startpage_guard_2.2.html
StartPage Guard (SPG) protects your PC from cyberscam, by detecting and
preventing any unauthorized changes to your internet browsers Start and
Search pages. It is also capable of removing automatically most of known
invaders.

Malicious programs (viruses, trojans, backdoors, etc.) sometime change the
StartPage to gain the ground.

Spywares use this way to invade users privacy by tracking destinations which
user visited, and collecting personal information. In some cases this
activity may be totally transparent to the user. But most often this is just
plain annoyance when start page is changed without asking users permission.
SPG effectively deals with all this problems, making surfing the
net safer, more secure, and by reducing frustaration - more fun.

WinPatrol
http://www.winpatrol.com/
Supports Windows 95, 98, ME, 2000, NT and XP
WinPatrol will sniff out Worms, Adware, Spyware, Cookies, Trojan horses and
other virus type, malicious, nasty programs that may attack your computer.
WinPatrol puts you back in control of your computer with no need for
constant updates.

Mac's Spyware page;
http://www.keyboardpower.com/spyware.htm

See my Spyware article from ABC here;
http://personal-computer-tutor.com/abc2/v18/mike18.htm

Mike ~ one of the Moderators
It is a good day if I learned something new.
Editor MikesWhatsNews http://www.mwn.ca/

On 21/01/2004 at 9:21 PM =A7Pat=A7 wrote:

I hope I can explain this....my friend who is 70 yrs old plays games on
Pogo.
Everytime he clicks on the shortcut to go to Pogo he gets this popup stating
his computer is being tracked  ..yadda yadda yadda...then his CD rom drawer
pops open scaring the poor man to death..he has a popup blocker but this
always
manages to get through...I then have to go back in to IE tools..internet
options and
put his home page back to what he wants...this may last 2 days and then the
process
starts all over again...........all the poor old man wants is his email and
his games on Pogo.
Any suggestions how to stop this from changing his home page and that darn
popup from opening his CDrom drawer (other than leaving it open) .
Pat
"Inside every older woman is a young girl wondering what the hell happened."
-Cora Harvey Armstrong-
http://www.duirwaighgallery.com/inspirat
ion_trailer.htm
http://wonderofitall.com/