-=PCTechTalk=- Re: PC Remote Control

  • From: GMan <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 19:57:13 -0400

See, that wasn't so bad after all, was it?  (and I hope that didn't sound
like I'm patronizing you)         :O)

Ok, other than the MRU entry, it's not controlled by anything in there.  You
located and opened it (which is a scary prospect in my book.  I may need to
digress again) and a not so scary, but unknown program that makes remote
connections presented itself.

I did a search for the Default.rdp file and found that it's related to
making a standard Remote Desktop Connection.  Have you done that with
another system over the internet?  Even if you have, I can find no online
connection between that icon and "PC Remote Control.exe", even though they
appear to be similar in nature and your icon is linked to it as a filetype.
The filetype association doesn't really tell us anything because you can
associate almost ANY extension with ANY program and Windows wouldn't balk at
the change.  I could associate all of your TXT files with a virus and
Windows will say, "Duhhh, OK".    :)

So, my next question is about what you used to analyze the file on your C
Drive.  Is that a function of your AV, firewall or something like that?  I'm
also interested in knowing if you're running any program that could be
considered as a server where another system can connect directly to yours
over the internet without going through Remote Desktop Connection.

I'm just about at the point where I'm ready to declare that this seems to
pose no threat and is probably an actual part of a program you installed at
some point.  I just want to cover all of the bases before we call it a wrap.

http://tinyurl.com/ypbuue

"The only dumb questions are the ones we fail to ask!"