-=PCTechTalk=- Re: OE versus the competition

  • From: The Keyboard Cowboy <KBCowboy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 15:42:45 -0400

Well written Wyatt.  I'd add the fact that OE & O are prone to virus
attack simply because they are in such wide use.  Programs like
TheBat and Poco run on their own code engines and therefore are not
nearly as vulnerable to viruses.  Everyone chooses what suits their
own tastes......but my Seal of Approval goes to Poco & TheBat.
 Regards from the
"Keyboard Cowboy",

     ,,,,,,,,
     Ô¿Ô¬
  Cincinnati, Ohio
Scottsdale, Arizona
Tuesday
06/17/2003
15:40:42 EST

You can't change the past, but you can ruin the present by worrying
over the future.

|¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥|:0:|¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥|

¤¤¤¤¤ On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 14:34:23 -0500
¤¤¤¤¤ Wyatt M. Portendt wrote:
¤
¤ Core mail handling includes filtering that can be configured to as
¤ many different mail accounts as differently as you wish on any
¤ folder you wish with the option of using regular expressions to
¤ tweak it to its fullest. Right click and filter with the ability to
¤ not even *see* messages you don't want by deleting them
¤ - completely- between the server and your computer before download.
¤ Chaining of filters to keep the inbox clean of everything you want
¤ to see (friends, direct messages) and instant, flexible sorting for
¤ mail lists and such that works *always* and doesn't miss or
¤ misplace messages.  The ability to invoke some filters on some
¤ folders without having to do it globally.  The ability to create a
¤ filter and have it used at your discretion, not on every piece of
¤ mail you get. There are others.
¤
¤ OE filters can be made to work, but they don't work well enough to
¤ handle the types of tasks I wish to do.  There are other things,
¤ but OE's major flaw from *my* perspective has always been its
¤ filters.  I can filter a message down to a single word if I want
¤ and will only get messages with *that exact word* *in the exact
¤ place I queried it* and no other matches. That's mail handling.  If
¤ you can do that in OE without a lot of effort, then show me how.
¤ Not that I'd go back, I'm happy where I'm at, but just for my
¤ knowlege.
¤
¤ OE is a fine program for most people.  Some want more or a
¤ different way of handling things.  To say OE will do anything that
¤ the others do is not quite correct.  To say it will work in most
¤ cases and work fine is not to be argued.  I can agree to disagree
¤ and I'm not plugging anything else to anyone for whom OE works well
¤ enough.
¤
¤
¤
¤ On 6/17/2003 at 8:27 PM a whisper was heard, and the one known as
¤ Doug was rumoured to have uttered....
¤
¤ |  Not sure what core mail handling is, but Outlook |  express has
¤ always had enough horsepower for my needs and I |  suspect many
¤ others here as well. |  |    ----- Original Message ----- |