-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Mozilla and Netscape

  • From: "David J. Weaver" <weaverdj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 08:38:47 -0400

Jack,

If you are referring to me, step back.  I am not a newbie.  I cut my teeth
on an IBM 8086.  When I got done with that I started toying with Commodores,
Atari's, one system called the Lynx (not Atari, if anyone ever heard of that
one let me know), etc.  I cut my teeth on PC-DOS, MS-DOS, Unix, and
programming languages such as COBOL, FORTRAN, and PASCAL (none of which you
hear very much anymore unless your really in the industry.  I also custom
build PCs and run a home based business fixing these infernal contraptions,
both hardware and software.  I'm also only 31.  I also beta test for MS.
(And no I'm not a big Windows, IE supporter). I prefer Linux (Lindows
currently), and Open-Source and freeware alternatives for my personal use.
Business wise I do use MS as it is a compatibility issue with other people.

And I never knocked Netscape.  What I will say about Netscape is this.  When
it first came out, it was a viable alternative, unfortunately Netscape
didn't push the envelope enough times.  Every time they did, IE caught up.
And now Netscape is being put out by AOL.  Netscape has changed into
bloatware, AOL-esque style no less.  The day Netscape sees fit to go back to
their original vision of a better, leaner browser than IE I will gladly give
them a chance.  However, I don't see that as happening, since Mozilla is now
out (and Netscape is based on Mozilla, not the other way around).  The
Mozilla project is being funded by AOL also (something that concerns me
quite a lot (can we say Time-Warner's version of Palladium?)).

And people are allowed to their opinions, including the opinion to knock
whatever program they want.  They are also entitled to change their
opinions.  I like Opera a lot better than IE or Netscape till Mozilla
release its official 1.0 version.  Now IE joins Netscape, sitting on a
little corner of my hard drive, for website testing and helping answer tech
questions about these two programs. I offered my opinions and observations
as just that, not facts.

Sorry for the rant.  But between this list and other tech lists that I am
on, it feels as if the free tech help world is going to h***.

David Weaver

Bore:  A person who talks when you wish him to listen.
 - Ambrose  Bierce