-=PCTechTalk=- Re: More strange things happening to my computer

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 21:32:46 -0400

Right click on My Computer (anywhere you find it - Start Menu, Explorer,
Desktop, etc.) and select Properties.  Click on the Advanced tab and then on
the Error Reporting button.  Check 'Disable', and then click 'But notify
...'.  Click OK to close that small window and then click on the Settings
button in the Startup & Recovery area.  In the System Failure area, uncheck
the 'Automatically Restart' box, but leave the other two checked.  Debugging
information should be set to 'small'.  Click OK twice to close both
remaining windows.

Go to Start > Run, type in 'powercfg.cpl' (without quotes) and press Enter.
In the Power property sheet that opens, go to the Hibernate tab and uncheck
'Enable Hibernation'.  Go back to Power Schemes and set the chosen scheme to
'Home/Office', 'Laptop' or 'Always On'.  I prefer Always On for my desktop
systems, but a laptop will need it's own setting.  The Laptop option is the
only one that still allows the 'Standby' function, which may or may not be
part of the cause of your system's issues.

After making the necessary mods, reboot and run the system for a while.
Then, leave the system alone (no mouse or keyboard movement/activity) for at
least 20 minutes to make sure the monitor turns itself off (it will simply
go black when it happens).  At that point, move your mouse to make sure it
comes right back up.  If all goes well, you'll still be saving power, but it
won't oversleep any longer.     :)

Peace,
Gman

http://www.thevenusproject.com/index.php

"The entire future of humankind is yet to be written"