-=PCTechTalk=- Re: : MailWasher program

  • From: The Keyboard Cowboy <KBCowboy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 16:09:16 -0400

I'm not trying to start a debate here.  If you like the program,
that's all that counts.  I'm trying to provide another perspective for
those who are trying to make the decision whether to use a program
such as Mailwasher.
Couple of points...............

I suspect if you "bounce" an e-mail back to yourself, you will find in
an analysis of the header information that your own e-mail address
shows up.  It has to because Mailwasher cannot "spoof" the
sender.......you are the sender of the bounced mail, not your ISP.  If
your ISP truly bounced the mail, it would show the account of the ISP
as the sender.  Try the test I'm recommending and then post it here if
you like.  I tried it myself when I was using Mailwasher Pro and the
results were as I explained.  Perhaps something has changed since I
used it?  Any SPAMer can read this same header information and
determine if it was truly spoofed -- but the truth be known, they
don't bother.  It takes too much time.  They just send and reload the
cannon!  <G>  Remember, you can buy a list of millions of addresses
for $200 USD.  Think the SPAMer cares is a few are bounced?

You said "Not my experience..   I got a drop of around 30%  when I
started with Mailwasher.".  What is the 30% -- reduction in the amount
of SPAM?  Or do you mean it catches and deletes automatically about
30% of your SPAM -- you choose to delete the rest?

Here's some thoughts/questions for anyone who's thinking about buying
a SPAM program:

A)  Does the SPAM program guarantee 100% accuracy?
B)  Do you have to review the mail in the SPAM program to insure it's
accuracy or train it?
C)  Does the SPAM program operate by filtering your E-Mail?
D)  Does it take time for you to set up and maintain the program to
keep an accuracy rate?
E)  Does the program cost money?
F)  Is there truly any advantage to deleting SPAM from the server
rather than from your e-mail program?

My logic says, if the answers were NO, YES, YES, YES, YES, and NO, or
something close to that, the purchase of a SPAM program doesn't make
sense.  Again, I think the problem lies in the e-mail program used.  I
get less than .01 % SPAM -- that's one in 10,000 e-mails. -- or about
one a month.  I don't use a SPAM program.  I do create my own filters
-- something that's very, very easy to do in Poco (my e-mail program).

At any rate, and I mean this sincerely, there is no right and wrong
answer to the question I saw asked -- whether one should really invest
in and use an e-mail program.  It is a matter of individual taste.
I'm simply trying to provide an answer based on transparent logic
(logic that others can test and duplicate) and facts.

  Regards from the
"Keyboard Cowboy",
         ,,,,,,,,
         Ô¿Ô¬
   Cincinnati, Ohio
Scottsdale, Arizona
---------------------------------
Wednesday, 10/22/2003, @ 3:40:32 PM EST
---------------------------------
The poor man is not he who is without a cent, but he who is without a
dream.

|¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥|:0:|¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥|

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 16:34:54 +0100, barnestoneworth wrote:
> [...]
   |   |

   | Mailwasher DOESN'T send your e mail address
   |

   |   | SPAMers don't care.....they don't cull bad addresses, they
   |   | just mail, mail, mail.
   |   | Bouncing is a waste of time as it simply; a) uses bandwidth
   |   | and increases loads on ISP (think of it this way, if every
   |   | SPAM e-mail were bounced, we'd double the amount of e-mail
   |   | caused by SPAM), b) it rarely if ever has a real affect of
   |   | deleting you from the SPAMers list.
   |   |

   | Not my experience..I got a drop of around 30%  when I started
   | with Mailwasher.

   |   |
   |   | If a SPAM catcher program cannot truly "bounce", what good
   |   | is it?  You just add a layer of program and maintenance,
   |   | not to mention cost, to your e-mail process.  You can
   |   | filter your own e-mail just as well, and control it exactly
   |   | how you want to.  I've tested many, many SPAM programs, and
   |   | a few work quite well.  But when the day is done, after
   |   | extensive testing of each new program, I come to the same
   |   | conclusion.........there's no real advantage in using a
   |   | SPAM program unless you simply do not want to make your own
   |   | filters, or use a e-mail program that isn't capable of
   |   | filtering well.  Frankly, in the latter case, I think your
   |   | better of for many reasons to change E-Mail programs rather
   |   | than using a SPAM program.  If your e-mail program isn't
   |   | sophisticated enough to filter easily and well, it probably
   |   | doesn't provide adequate security either!!
   |   |