-=PCTechTalk=- Re: MB's?

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 09:06:03 -0500

Lots of confusion surrounds these terms, so I'm really glad you asked.

b = bit which is a single 1 or 0
B = byte which is 8 bits.  It takes 8 bits to represent a single character
such as 5 or Y.
M = Mega or 1 Million of ...
G = Giga or 1 Billion of ...  I have two 500GB hard drives I use solely for
storage.
T = Tera or 1 Trillion of ...  There are now hard drives on the market that
can hold 1TB or more of data.

So, a MB = a MegaByte which means 1 million bytes worth of data.  A floppy
disk can hold up to 1.38MB of data.  A typical CD holds up to 700MB and a
DVD can store about 4,700MB or 4.7GB.  You will probably NEVER hear anything
described in Mb (MegaBit) format.  That format is basically used only by
engineering majors.

Yes, a 990MB movie will fit comfortably on a single 4.7GB DVD disc  You
could fit 4 movies of that size on there if you really wanted to.        :)

Peace,
Gman
http://www.bornagainamerican.org