-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Lots of Flashes

  • From: dktrfaustus@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 22:46:07 +0100

On 19 Apr 2005 at 5:37, donbriggs wrote:
> Hi Group,
> When my machine refreshes the desktop I always get several waves of
> flashes before the desktop stabilizes. I have a fairly fast 1.2 Gig
> machine with 512 meg of Ram moderately large 40 Gig HD and Window XP
> Pro. Is there any tweak that will reduce this repeated flashing, It
> does no harm and only lasts a few second to perhaps 10. TIA for any
> tips. Rocky de Dragon

Hi,

Can't say I've ever had to mess with this, but there are several
tweaks in X-Setup that might do the job. Can you confirm if it's just
the desktop, or do inactive windows on the taskbar also flash too
much when they become active?

X-Setup's available here:
http://www.x-setup.net/

(Start program with classic interface. Possibly applicable tweaks:)

1. Appearance >> Explorer >> Settings >> Explorer Options >> "Enable
Fast Update" [tick]

2. Appearance >> Taskbar >> Flash Taskbar Options #1 >> "Flash
Taskbar Button" [un-tick]

3. Appearance >> Taskbar >> Flash Taskbar Options #2 >> [allows you
to set number of flashes, if you didn't un-tick tweak 2, above]

You might also try disabling Active Desktop, if it's switched on.

If I'm on the wrong track here, and what you mean is that you're just
waiting for all the desktop icons to load, you may need to increase
your icon cache, which you can also do in X-Setup.
Appearance >> Interface >> Icons >> "Icon Cache: Size"
(Mine is set to 2000.)

Probably wouldn't hurt to clean out the prefetch folder, either.
System >> File System >> Windows Prefetching >> "Clear Prefetch
Folder"

If you decide to try these tweaks, remember to Apply Changes [F9]
after each modification. Reboot, and see what happens.

Faustus