-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Looking for advice

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2008 21:10:49 -0400

Cristy,
    Probably not.  Understanding the potential differences requires
understanding some other things about how data is handled within a system
and that takes more than a nutshell.  There are far too many marketing
misuses of the term to cover all of that, too.

    What I CAN tell you is that true 64-bit operations (64-bit CPU, OS &
Apps) completely blow the roof off of what you've been used to with 32-bit
systems, at least for the foreseeable future.  Check out all 3 of the
following links to get a rough idea of what you're asking about.  The last
one is particularly useful if you're considering different flavors of Vista,
but read the other two first so you'll have some understanding of what's
going on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/64-bit

Windows versus Windows or 32-bit versus 64bit
http://tinyurl.com/93w7d

32-bit Windows Vista vs. 64-bit Windows Vista - Vs. system memory
http://tinyurl.com/yq3whv