-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Looking for advice

  • From: "Don101" <don101@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 10:34:25 -0400

Whew!  After seeing the "sample" computer description Lisa posted I grossly
underestimated the power (and budget) she had in mind.  :-))  I guess that
is bound to happen when a person is as budget minded as I am.

I've been eyeballing that same Samsung TV (under $500 at Wal-Mart) but I
think I want a 26" and that would be stretching my budget.  But if I keep my
old monitor (a 17" digital flat panel with 4:3 aspect ratio) as a second
monitor I could probably do with the 22" instead.  Hook up your TV to the
computer, set it to a resolution close to 16:9 or 16:10 (1440x850 for
example) and let us know what you think.  The VGA cable will work fine but
an HDMI/DVI cable will do better.

Look at the resolution as well as the response time.  The response time is
especially important for gamers and other high speed action type uses.
Gamers would likely want a 2MS response time.  I think a 5MS time would
likely be very adequate for most other uses.  Looking at the monitors in
Office Depot I don't see any quality difference between 2MS, 5MS or even 8MS
monitors.  Perhaps because the video is always slow moving like screen
savers.

An HDTV smaller than about 37" will do fine with a 720p rating.  At 37" and
definitely at 42" or larger I would suggest 1080p though for most folks 720p
would still be adequate.

The coooling system and power supply are dependent on how the machine is
going to be used.  I would upgrade the CPU cooling fan at least one notch
and perhaps two from standard if the price is moderate.  The graphics card
should have a fan also.  Consider adding 1 or 2 extra case fans and or a
hard drive cooling fan.  An upgrade to round instead of ribbon cables would
help with cooling also.  For about $15 add a temp monitor and fan speed
control unit to help minimize noise.   A large fan running slower moves as
much air as a small fan running faster and is quieter.

I would upgrade the power supply to at least 450 or 600 watts.  I think I
read somewhere that a power supply with lots of headroom (capacity over
average demand) will operate cooler than one with little or no headroom.

Don