-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Kubuntu WLAN setup

  • From: "Glen Sawtell" <glen.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 13:30:21 +1000

Unfortunately this is a problem with some hardware manufacturers.
Since they do not want people to know exactly how the hardware works,
drivers cannot be written for the hardware by anyone outside of the
manufacturer. This is why they have 'binary only' drivers that are
supplied by the manufacturer. Often the Linux distributions will
refuse to or cannot package them with their software since the drivers
that are released by these manufacturers are under a license which
does not permit them to distribute them, sometimes it is also a moral
refusal since some Linux vendors are purists who will not include any
piece of software with their distribution that is not open source and
freely distributable.

Some other examples of this are the drivers for NVidia display
adapters which are binary only. If you would like some help with this
I would be glad to give you assistance.

Regards,
Glen.