-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Katrina OT

  • From: ~OoO~ <sirtroth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 09:36:07 -0400

Hi Glo. I can give you my recommendations and personal opinion only. In
general, the price for what you are describing is not bad. But, the
description you give is only general and not detailed enough to really know
if it's a good value for the system or just a watered down system with
sprinkles, know what I mean?

Ok... so I will try and break it down for you.

Compaq has never gave me the feeling of satisfaction in a computer, so I
tend to stay away from them. I don't want to say they're bad, cause they're
not. But, many dealings I've had with them tend to be negative. Is it the
company Compaq? Maybe, maybe not. Could just be computer-illiterate users,
or the bombardment of adware/spyware/viruses/etc.

The AMD Athlon 64 3300 processor runs at 2.4Ghz, so you can use that to
compare it to a Pentium system. AMD is not bad. Probably superior to the
Pentium in many ways. And, best advantage is the price. You usually save a
bit on the AMD as compared to an equally powerful Pentium (usually, but not
always).

1024MB, or 1GB, RAM. Its probably DDR RAM. So, that's good. I wouldn't
recommend anything less than 512. Although I have run XP on a laptop with
only 32MB of RAM (suicidal, I know). You didn't mention a video card, so I
am assuming its onboard, and probably shares the system RAM. Video needs
RAM, and if its not on a separate video card it'll share it with the system
RAM. So, if you have 64MB video, that 64MB is being deducted from that 1024.
Not too much of a hit, though, as 1024 is high enough.

The 160GB hard is a plus, but I always tell people that you can save money
on a smaller hard drive if your primary goal is not to store size-intensive
pictures or music... or maybe even a heavy gamer that installs everything
out there. Of course, you can't configure this system, so the 160 is what
you get. But, in a system you configure, I would say drop the 160 unless you
need it and maybe go with an 80. PLUS... the hard drives are cheaper to buy
on the outside than with the company. This advise doesn't apply here,
though, as you configure the system. So, just a FYI.

16x DVD+RW. Good, but not good enough. I would say double-check if its just
a DVD+RW or also a -R. PLUS, I would want the Dual-Layer recording as well.
Is it necessary? No, of course not. If you don't plan on burning much, than
the single format +R/RW is fine. Otherwise, get a dual-format with
dual-layer capabilities.

9-in-1 card reader... nice bonus, but cheap to buy in the stores separately
as well. Unless its built into the drive bay, in which case will probably
match the system much better and look nicer.

15" LCD Monitor... I prefer 17". But, that's preference. I will say one
thing though. Monitors are probably the trickiest things to get used to.
Involves a lot of preference. Especially if you're used to a CRT monitor. I
personally hate LCD displays. Nothing wrong with them, but I prefer the good
'ol fashioned CRT. In general, CRT's are better displays (with all other
details being equal). But, LCDs over the years have advanced. Of course, the
biggest thing with LCD's are the space they save. Sure thing, I agree. So,
if you want the smaller size and are comfortable with LCD then go for it.
Just be sure 15" is big enough for you. If you can, try to see one on
display... and the same exact model as well. LCD A and LCD B will give you
two noticeably different pictures.

Finally... the one thing I don't like about these pre-fab systems is they
never tell you the model motherboard you are getting, or other details, like
the memory brand, and sometimes other items (most items in these systems are
from various manufacturers). So, again, its hard to do a thorough review
unless you actually try 'em out or open the system to see what you have.

I say the system is not bad for the price you describe. However, take a look
also at ibuypower.com. They have very comparable systems, better IMO, and
about the same price (with some of their systems for cheaper). Only thing to
keep in mind is the monitor is not included (although you can add it to the
packages). With ibuypower.com you'll pay shipping, but no tax. With your HP
system there, you'll pay tax, but no shipping. So, just things to bear in
mind.

Hope this helps.

---Troth