-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Java Update

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 11:27:33 -0400

Java 6 update 14 is definitely NOT one that you want ignored.  That's the
basic Java machine that runs all Java on your system and it becomes insecure
every now and again.  As a result, the updates for that are extremely
important.  Yes, it will remind you again later, but it's one of those
things that should never be put off.  If it comes up while you're doing
something else, just push it aside (minimize, if possible) until you can
actually update it instead of telling it to go away.

So that leaves us with the question of where you're seeing this Dev Kit
reference.  If it's not listed under Add/Remove and you're only seeing that
reference within Secunia, then Secunia appears to just have the name wrong.
Still, this is worth investigating a little just to be sure that you don't
have it installed.  My primary concern here is that if it IS installed
without your knowledge, it becomes a vulnerability if it's not updated
occasionally.  And there's no point in constantly looking for updates for
something that you'll never use.

Peace,
Gman

http://www.thevenusproject.com/index.php