-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Is it Explorer or the printer?

  • From: Robert Carneal <carnealr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 15:12:50 -0600

Ok, I realize you said you don't think it is the printer and I am inclined
to agree, but let me ask this:

Are the cables SNUG on both ends? I solve a lot of printer problems just by
unplugging the cable and plug it right back in.

Is/are the printer cartridges ok? Any leaks? Some "inkage" around the jet
holes is fine. If they are cracked or it leaks or the ink is dried, try
replacing it.

Next, can you print a self-test page FROM THE PRINTER, not the PC? If that
prints out fine, we have resolved the printer is ok.

Try searching for a new driver on the Internet. Be sure you or your son
selects the driver for your specific printer and for Windows ME.  Most
drivers need to be unzipped, but the good part is most of them will have a
program to install the driver for you. Look for that- it will have obvious
from the name. If there is no installation program with it. write down were
you saved the driver. It probably will look like "C:\Download" or
something. Then do this:

1. Goto START
2. Choose SETTINGS
3. Select PRINTERS
4. Click on ADD PRINTER.
5. A wizard will appear and guide you through it.

That is all there is to it for installing a new driver.  If this does not
work, write back and we will try to help some more.

Robert