-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Internet Explorer not functioning

  • From: "Jan Robey" <hrstreak@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 12:13:08 -0400

Hello G,
I went back & reread & followed each step very carefully, but nothing is
different.  As far as questions, the only thing I glean from the message are
steps to follow but no further questions unless you would like to know the
process from start to finish.

The problem is that Internet Explorer's Homepage may have been set to a file
on your computer. The file doesn't exist anymore. This can happen when you
either installed or uninstall AOL Tool Bar. It may have changed your Home
Page to a file stored on your computer. This file is located inside
"C:\Program Files\AOL Toolbar\". The name of the file is "welcome.html". You
remedy this problem by changing your home page.
My results:  I already set the home page to Google some time ago.  I went in
to look & it was still Google so I closed it & went to the next step.

If this doesn't work then you can try to disable the AOL Toolbar inside of
Internet Explorer. Go to the "Tools" menu then click "Manage Add-Ons" over
to "Enable or Disable Add-Ons" then click drop down box at the top of the
dialog box and go to "Add-Ons that have been used by Internet Explorer" find
the AOL Toolbar and click Disable button at the bottom of the dialog box.
When finished click "Ok" and close out Internet Explorer then re-open
Internet Explorer and see if it goes away.
My results:  Did each of the above & found no mention of AOL.

 If this doesn't work then try run Internet Explorer without Add-Ons. This
is
done in two different ways . If you are using "Classic" windows look you go
to "Start" - > "Programs" -> "Accessories" -> "System Tools" and click on
"Internet Explorer (No-Add-ons). If you are not using "Classic" windows look
then you go to "Start" - > "All Programs" -> "Accessories" -> "System Tools"
and click on "Internet Explorer (No-Add-ons). See if it goes away.
My results:  Did each of the above & found no mention of AOL.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
"First Home Page" = C:/Program Files/AOL Toolbar/Welcome.html
My results:  Did each of the above & found no mention of first home page or
AOL.

Anyway, there are two ways to fix this. Option 1 is to delete this key in
its entirety. If you do this, you will once again be able to set your home
page inside IE under Tools/Internet Options.
My results:  There was key there to delete

Option 2 is to hard code the URL you want to be your home page in place of
AOL's Welcome.html file name.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
"First Home Page" = http colon slash slash www dot aol dot com

(Note that colons and slashes should be replaced by actual punctuation)
After this change, when she opens IE, there are no more error messages and
her beloved AOL webpage opens up straight away.
My results:  There was key there to do anything to.

G, are these the questions you wanted me answer?

----- Ori
ginal Message -----