-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Internet Explorer not functioning

  • From: "cristy" <poppy0206@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 21:28:08 -0400

Hi Jan,

I googled and found this, not sure if it will help you?  I posted the link
below this info where I found it.

The problem is that Internet Explorer's Homepage may have been set to a file
on your computer. The file doesn't exist anymore. This can happen when you
either installed or uninstall AOL Tool Bar. It may have changed your Home
Page to a file stored on your computer. This file is located inside
"C:\Program Files\AOL Toolbar\". The name of the file is "welcome.html". You
remedy this problem by changing your home page.

Changing your homepage is quite simple to do. You do this by opening
Internet Explorer and clicking the menu "Tools" then to "Internet Options"
then click "Home Page" box and enter in a new home page like google.com or
anything you would like to see when you open Internet Explorer. Then click
"Apply" close out Internet Explorer and re-open it to see if it goes away.

If this doesn't work then you can try to disable the AOL Toolbar inside of
Internet Explorer. Go to the "Tools" menu then click "Manage Add-Ons" over
to "Enable or Disable Add-Ons" then click drop down box at the top of the
dialog box and go to "Add-Ons that have been used by Internet Explorer" find
the AOL Toolbar and click Disable button at the bottom of the dialog box.
When finished click "Ok" and close out Internet Explorer then re-open
Internet Explorer and see if it goes away.

If this doesn't work then try run Internet Explorer without Add-Ons. This is
done in two different ways . If you are using "Classic" windows look you go
to "Start" - > "Programs" -> "Accessories" -> "System Tools" and click on
"Internet Explorer (No-Add-ons). If you are not using "Classic" windows look
then you go to "Start" - > "All Programs" -> "Accessories" -> "System Tools"
and click on "Internet Explorer (No-Add-ons). See if it goes away.

http://74.55.96.66/vb/topic78939.html

The below suggestion was also found at the same site if you scroll lower.
But I would not mess with going into your registry unless you are really
really comfortable with that ;0.

I have a solution for the "cannot find file:///c;program%20files/aol%20
toolbar/welcome.html problem. At least, in my case (IE7 on Vista) it solved
the problem.

The trouble is with AOL's installation software. It adds a key to the
windows registry that looks like this:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
"First Home Page" = C:/Program Files/AOL Toolbar/Welcome.html

This key apparently overrides the home page settings set within IE. Worse,
an uninstall of AOL does NOT remove the key from the registry. So every time
IE starts up, this key tells the system to go look for a welcome file that
HAS been removed. Naturally, the file cannot be found, and s that's why you
see the error message.

Anyway, there are two ways to fix this. Option 1 is to delete this key in
its entirety. If you do this, you will once again be able to set your home
page inside IE under Tools/Internet Options.

Option 2 is to hard code the URL you want to be your home page in place of
AOL's Welcome.html file name. My wife likes AOL (God knows why) so for her I
hard coded the registry to proceed directly to AOL. The key now looks like
this:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
"First Home Page" = http colon slash slash www dot aol dot com

(Note that colons and slashes should be replaced by actual punctuation)
After this change, when she opens IE, there are no more error messages and
her beloved AOL webpage opens up straight away.

As always, be careful with editing registry, but I'm a neophyte and had no
trouble doing this.

Good luck!

And:
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/aspnet/28930638/-aol20toolbarwelcoe.aspx

Check to see if there is an addon from AOL with name such as AOL toolbar
etc.
(tools, manage addons, enable or disable addons)
if it is there 'disable' it and close restart IE7.

If this solves the problem than go to add/remove programs in control panel
and find something on the order of AOL toolbar, uninstall it. If you
actually want the AOL tool bar, then go to the AOL web site and download the
latest AOL toolbar which should fix you up.

Christine