-=PCTechTalk=- Re: If I have squiggly lines on my desktop, is the video card bad????

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 16:00:12 -0400

Not necessarily.  If the entire desktop appears scrambled, it could mean
that the resolution is set beyond what the graphics hardware can handle.  To
find out, boot into Safe Mode.  If it's a hardware problem, Safe Mode will
also be scrambled.  If it's a resolution issue, Safe Mode will revert back
to a standard resolution that will allow the desktop to be seen.

So, if you can see the desktop while booted into Safe Mode, lower the
resolution manually by right clicking on the Desktop and selecting
Properties.  When the Property sheet opens, select the Settings tab and then
move the "Screen Resolution" slider all the way to the left (everything will
be as big as they can get).  Click OK and then reboot back into the non-safe
mode Windows to test the results.  If you're able to then see the screen
without the lines, repeat the right click procedure above and move the
slider towards the right one step.  Click Ok and it'll show you the result
of the newly selected resolution.  If it looks ok, try it again with the
next slider position.  Repeat the process until your desktop looks the way
it's supposed to look OR until the lines return.

If it returns to how it's supposed to look, you're done and can now enjoy
using your system again.  If the lines do return before you get to that
point, you'll have to start over by going back into Safe Mode and sliding it
to the left again.  One you boot back into Windows again, adjust the slider
to the last setting that worked without the lines and then let us know at
what resolution it failed.

On the other hand, if the lines are still present under Safe Mode, it means
you either have a bad graphics chip or the driver for that chip has become
severely corrupted and will need to be replaced.

Let us know what you discover and we'll go from there.

Peace,
Gman