-=PCTechTalk=- Re: I Want To Try Something A Little Different!!

  • From: "GuitarMan" <PCTech@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2002 00:39:58 -0400

Andy,
    You might find that the partitioning software that came with the drive
never installed properly.  If that turns out to be the case (you'll know
immediately after installing Windows), try reinstalling that partitioning
program.  It may force you to uninstall it before you can install it again,
but at least that should get it working right.        :O)

    Here's a couple more thoughts to help you get the best performance out
of the new setup.  While these ideas are best utilized prior to installing
from scratch, they can also be used in a system transfer in most cases.

1.  Keep hard drives and optical drives (CD & DVD) on different IDE
Controllers.  An optical drive will prevent a hard drive on the same
controller from achieving its optimum read/write speeds.

2.  If you don't have much RAM installed, consider adding more (I suggest a
total of 2-3 times the amount recommended on the Windows retail box if you
want to prevent additional programs from bogging down the system).  If you
decide you're unable to do that for any reason (cost, lack of available
memory slots, etc.), consider setting up a second partition just for your
swapfile to prevent it from ever becoming fragmented.  In most cases, I
recommend setting up this partition to be 3 times the amount of RAM you have
installed, since there are a number of variables, get in touch before
following this advice and we'll figure out the best size for your system).
Once the OS is installed, let me know and I'll show you how to move the
swapfile to this new partition.

3.  Triple check the connectors (both data and power cables) & master/slave
jumpers of ALL drives before even trying to install the OS (operating
system).  Knowing that those things are definitely correct will help focus
your troubleshooting efforts if you find any difficulties during subsequent
steps.

4.  Install the OS onto the fastest of the hard drives.  If that turns out
to be the large drive, seriously consider setting up a smaller partition for
this purpose (my recommendation on the size totally depends on the OS to be
installed).  The remaining space can also be broken down into smaller
partitions if desired (I wouldn't hesitate to separate my Documents,
Programs, Games and Downloads over different partitions, given the space
we're talking about here).

5.  Finally, take some time to seriously think about the additional programs
you wish to install/reinstall on this new system prior to installing them.
If you're like most computer users, you have a list of favorite
freeware/shareware you like installed for those times when they're needed.
This is the perfect time to do some research to see if something better has
been released.  You'll likely be very surprised at some of the newer stuff
that's come out since you decided on the one you've been using until now.
Also, it's very important for you to take the time to go to the websites of
every program's manufacturer to see if there are any bug fixes or patches
available for the programs you decide to install.  Be sure to carefully read
everything associated with both the programs and the available bug
fixes/patches you find prior to installing them.

Peace,
GMan

PCTechTalk Owner