-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Home network

  • From: "Don" <dsw32952@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 11:49:26 -0400

When using a KVM switch you select which computer you want to be "active".
Only one computer can be "active" at one time.  In other words I can not
send keyboard instructions to BOTH computers at the same time.  The KVM
simulates the presence (but no activity)of the monitor, keyboard and mouse
to the unselected computer so it can boot up when turned on and the network
can access the harddrives and printers just as if it had a monitor, keyboard
and mouse physically attached.

FOR EXAMPLE:

Let's say the KVM is connected between the 8300 and the L466c.  All three
computers are then turned on, and all three will boot up as normal.  The
simulated signals from the KVM will allow the unselected computer to boot
without any errors such as "Keyboard not found: Press F1 to continue".  If
The 8300 has been selected to be the "active" computer all input to/from the
keyboard, monitor and mouse will be sent to the 8300 ONLY.  The network will
function as normal just like all three computers had a keyboard, monitor and
mouse physically attached.  If I switch to the L466c all input to/from the
keyboard, monitor and mouse will be to/from the L466c and again the network
will function as normal... all three computers accessible.  The KVM switch
will have absolutely no impact on the 2350 since it is not connected to the
switch.  Switching the KVM from the 8300 to L466c or vice versa has
absolutely no impact on either computer.  Power is not turned off, neither
is rebooted and neither misses the keyboard, monitor and mouse since the KVM
simulates them for the unselected computer.  Of course, the unselected
computer can not be told to do anything via the keyboard or mouse, but the
hardware installed on it is still accessible as allowed by the network (such
as printing or accessing files on the hard drive).

As suggested in an earlier message, we can eliminate the KVM from the
equation if it will make it easier to understand the topography.

Additional comments are inserted into the quoted text of your message.