-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Hex editor does

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 18:11:21 -0400

Actually, the meaning of all of the hex code is usually shown to the right
of the code itself.  Unfortunately, most code is not in English, so it still
doesn't look like much.

If you use a hex editor to 'peek' inside a DLL file, you're likely to see
certain sections that contain actual English.  You'll also find that most of
that stuff is different error messages that come up when the EXE that's
referencing the DLL experiences a problem.  The rest of the 'code' is the
actual programming for whatever that DLL is designed to do to help those EXE
files.  Some of it might be drawing the windows and icons you see when the
program is running.  Other parts are related to various functions performed
by the DLL such as the OK & Close buttons or the actual act of opening up a
port for communication with the internet or your network.

Peace,
Gman