-=PCTechTalk=- Re: HP won't load Windows XP

  • From: "Don" <dsw32952@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 11:50:20 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: <dktrfaustus@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, April 13, 2005 7:51 AM
Subject: -=PCTechTalk=- Re: HP won't load Windows XP

> P.S. Be sure to make sure that your XP CD and drive tray are clean,
> by wiping them with a non-abrasive, clean cloth. I've heard of read
> errors halting the installation process and prompting early reboots.

This is good advice for more than just installation procedures.  I was
trying to copy pictures to a friends partially used CD-R last night.  The
burn failed twice... once using XP and once using the burn software that
came with my Dell.

Information provided by the failed write dialog box suggested cleaning the
CD-R disc.  A little warm water and Dawn dish detergent effectively removed
the huge thumbprint and the write was successful.

Be careful that all tools, towels, cleaning agents etc that you use are
GENTLE, soft, clean and lint free.  Isopropyl alcohol is good for glass and
metal, gentle dish or liquid hand soap is ok for CD or DVD discs and Sray &
Wipe/409/Windex etc is OK for hard plastics and most external surfaces.
_*But check your owner's manual first.*_

 I would not use cotton swabs (Q-tips) to clean any part of my computer
because they leave small strands of cotton all over the place.

Don