-=PCTechTalk=- Re: HELP! Can't Defrag!

  • From: "zat" <zzzatso@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 05:36:23 -0800

What brand of hard drive do you have? Maxtor, Western Digital and others
have diagnostic programs that you can test your drive with. They can be
downloaded from the manufacturer's website. A generic program is called
Drive Fitness Test, you can Google it. You may or may not have some lost
clusters. What does Windows report? Also how much free space do you have on
the drive? You need at least 10-15% free or Windows won't defrag.

If you can't find a copy of DFT then email me off list and I'd be happy to
send you a zipped copy of it, it's 85kb in size.

hth,
zat