-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Firefox question

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 17:02:12 -0400

Cristy,
    To be perfectly frank, I don't know.  I have never had the need or
desire (or the time) to play around with PowerPoint, so I honestly don't
know what it needs in order to render what you're trying to see.  What I CAN
tell you is that Firefox is designed as a 'barebones' browser to which you
add extensions in order to create your own perfect web browsing, RSS
handling, FTPing, etc. monster.  The extensions are what allows you to
tailor it to your own specific needs/desires/preferred way of doing things.
Since it IS barebones, it has absolutely no ties to the operating system
like IE.  This means it is a MUCH more secure browser, but it also means
that it may lack a function you need (like ActiveX) in order to use it for
certain sites (such as Windows Update).  My guess is that this PowerPoint
deal (&/or your school connection) also needs ActiveX or something else that
IE has and Firefox lacks.

    If you're interested, I would like to test this idea.  I have an
extension called IETab which allows me to render pages on a Firefox tab, but
using IE's rendering engine.  Once installed into Firefox, you can Right
click on any tab and choose "Switch rendering engine" to reload the page as
though you've opened it in IE (because, basically, you just have).  Since
it's being shown with IE's engine, all Firefox extensions are ignored when a
tab is in this mode and it doesn't affect any other open tabs (unless you do
the same to them).  Of course, this bypasses the more secure environment of
Firefox, but no more than opening up the page directly in IE.  It's a simple
extension that works flawlessly, but allows me to open up sites that I
couldn't get to in Firefox otherwise (and I really do hate opening up the
entire IE just for a page or two).

    If you're interested in seeing if this works for your presentation &
school connection, here the link to the extension.

"The only dumb questions are the ones we fail to ask!"