-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Firefox error

  • From: GMan <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 20:25:11 -0500

Hi Terry,
    While nothing in particular jumps right out at me, I am very aware of a
Flash issue that is causing numerous problems for folks under varying
conditions and your situation may be related.  I'll provide details on it
below the rest of this reply.

    Other than the Flash issue below, I can only imagine you have at least
two extensions that are not getting along well.  Have you recently added any
extensions to Firefox or was there an update to any of them just before this
problem started?  If so, try disabling them all and then enabling just one
at a time until the problem returns.  Once that happens, disable all but the
last one that brought back the problem and then see if it causes it by
itself.  If not, start enabling one at a time until the problem returns
again.  When it does, you'll know that the first and last extensions are the
ones not cooperating and may need to seek a replacement for at least one of
those.  Of course, if the replacement causes the issue again, you'll want to
try replacing the other instead.  Yes, it's a lot of work and you'll have to
try surfing to a page that you know will bring up the problem between each
extension you enable, but the end result is worth the effort.

    If there were no extension updates or installs just prior to the first
time this issue started, then it may be related to an add-on.  The Firefox
community uses the term add-on to describe browser extras like Media Player,
Shockwave and Flash.  These are not so much toolbar helpers as much as they
are web page object enablers.  If a web page calls for a multimedia file,
these add-ons are called so that the object can be 'played'.  If there's a
problem with an add-on, all sorts of things can go bad and some of them will
not seem related to the function of the add-on at all.  Since you just
updated Media Player and Shockwave, I would start by redoing that, just to
make sure one of them wasn't somehow corrupted, either during the install or
afterwards.  If that still doesn't help, I would hope that the next
paragraph brings your browser back to normal.

Here's the info for getting Flash working optimally.
(formerly made by Macromedia; now owned by Adobe)
Well, all browsers use a multimedia add-on called Flash whenever a Flash
oriented object is called by the page that's displaying.  As new versions of
Flash are released, the add-on will eventually update itself whenever newer
Flash objects are called.  In other words, if the  object was made with
Flash 6, your browser will first check to see if you already have version 6
or above.  If not, it'll first download the newer flash, install it and then
finally render the object.  The problem that's recently come up is that the
newer versions will replace and files that are being updated, but it never
removes any that are no longer needed.  For whatever reason, version 8 (the
latest one) is having problems doing what it does with at least one of the
older files still hanging around.  The only cure for this is to download a
special Flash uninstaller that wipe out everything ever related to Flash,
reboot and then install the latest version again.  While I cannot say with
any certainty that this will fix your issues, it will certainly fix any
issues that are a direct result of this Flash problem.  The links for
downloading the two files are below.

Uninstaller
http://tinyurl.com/ngqro

Adobe Flash Player 8
http://tinyurl.com/2w264l

Both of the links above are from this Adobe page
http://tinyurl.com/ple8f

    If none of this helps, give us a yell and we'll look for another angle
of attack.         :O)

Peace,
GMan
http://reddit.com
"The only dumb questions are the ones we fail to ask!"