-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Email Clients . . . 2 at once?

  • From: "Roger" <rcleavitt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 15:58:07 -0700

"Some Internet service providers intercept port 25, so that it is not
possible for their users to send mail via a relaying SMTP server elsewhere
using port 25; they are restricted to using the ISP's SMTP server only. Some
independent SMTP servers support an additional port other than 25 to allow
users with authenticated access to connect to them even if port 25 is
blocked."

ATT uses Port 465 on SSL. Try using port 25 and the mail may go but you
immediately get a letter advising you not to use port 25, or else.
ATT uses SSL for outgoing and incoming on 995 and 465. That change took
place a year or so ago!
Both ports require authentication.