-=PCTechTalk=- Re: EDSLoader.exe is missing

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 18:23:25 -0500

Jan,
    EDSLoader.exe is a launcher process from Acer belonging to its Data
Security Management.  This is a program which allows you to encrypt/decrypt
files on the computer.  I can't imagine why/how the granddaughter would have
any reason to mess with it, so I strongly suspect it was flagged/removed by
a security app that just had new definition files downloaded into it.

    I would first check the quarantine area of the person's AV to see if it
was moved into there for safekeeping.  If it was, update the definition
files (hopefully, the company has received enough complaints by then to have
corrected it in the newset ones) and then use the AV's Restore function to
put the file back where it belongs.  A reboot will be needed to allow the
system to recognize it and return it to active duty.

    If it's not in the quarantine area of ANY secirty apps, it may have been
permanently deleted.  Check the Recycle Bin to see if it's still around.  If
not, reboot into Safe Mode and then use System Restore to take the machine
back to before the granddaughter arrived.

Peace,
Gman
http://www.bornagainamerican.org