-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Computer won't start..

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 15:14:11 -0400

HB,
    Regardless of type (in/out or click only), all ATX based computer case
switches are of the 'momentary' type.  The link below provides more detail
if you're interested.

http://tinyurl.com/5lykub

    Normally, a problem like this will be within the switch mechanism
itself, so it won't affect the external wires.  Since the internal
connections are only 'connected' momentarily during the mechanical 'click'
of the switch, hearing/feeling those clicks doesn't really tell you anything
about the state of that connection.  It could be that the mechanical parts
are all intact, but the small metal bar that makes the connection has
dislodged or otherwise fallen out of place.

    One way to test the switch is to use a screwdriver to short the power
leads on your mainboard as described below.

The power switch on the front of the case is just a momentary contact
switch. The motherboard always has a little bit of power, and pushing the
contact switch simply completes a circuit between two little prongs on the
motherboard that signals the power supply to start supplying full juice to
the system. When you open the case and trace the wires from the backside of
the on/off switch down to the motherboard, you can pull the those two wires
off the motherboard and (momentarily) connect the two prongs using a spare
jumper or even the tip of a screwdriver (be careful poking around and only
touch only the two prongs that were underneath the wires from the switch).
The system should come to life. If so, then the switch is bad.  It's not
making the momentary contact to complete the circuit as it should. Replacing
it will be a chore as there are tons of styles and sizes to choose from.

    If that doesn't start up your system, the switch is not the problem.
Either way, you should reconnect the wires to the prongs on the motherboard.