-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Computer locks up..

  • From: GuitarMan <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 18:40:10 -0400

HB,
    Thanx for checking for those exclamation marks in Device Manager.  That
request was going to be part of this reply if you hadn't.     :O)

    Your keyboard IS one of the types I'm talking about.  Those extra
buttons for accessing the internet, volume, etc. require a special driver in
order for those buttons to function.  My advice for that would be to go to
the manufacturer's site and download/install the latest version of those
drivers to see if this clears up.

    If that doesn't help, my next suggestion would be to get a copy of the
Memtest ISO, burn it to a CD and then run that following a reboot (your
system may need to be set in the BIOS to boot from a bootable CD before it
will work).  The memtest.iso file you seek contains an image of the free
memtest program (which is very small).  It will put your RAM through the
ringer, testing just about everything there is to test about them.  If
there's a problem with one of the sticks, the program will discover that and
let you know.  If it finds a problem with your RAM, that is most likely the
cause of your freeze ups.

Peace,
GMan