-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Compressed files?

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 17:37:43 -0400

If you're referring to the last addition to the thread, neither did I and I
still question it.  Yes, they will automatically uncompress for use as
needed, but my understanding is that they go right back into their
compressed state when the file is closed.

To break it down into more technical terms, the file itself is not affected
at all by the user's access request (except for the 'Last Accessed Date').
Instead, the data is automatically uncompressed into RAM where it can be
used by the OS or whatever app called for that file.  The file itself
remains untouched except for the reading of the compressed data within.
When the file is later closed, the system will check to see if anything is
changed within it.  If not, the data is simply deleted from RAM and the
original compressed file is left alone (again, except for the access date).
If changes were made, the new data is compressed and the original file is
then overwritten with the resulting new file.

If anyone finds a source that disproves the above, I'd love to know about
it.  It's been many, many moons since I last had any need for using this
type of system compression (1997, maybe?) and I'd hate to be giving out bad
info here.        lol

Peace,
Gman