-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Checking RAM chips for compatility

  • From: "T. Hunt" <ilrover@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 22:26:14 -0400

First, go to www.crucial.com and see what type of memory the system is
supposed to take and then look at what you've got in there now.  With
Win98, I use a utility called CTSpd.  It will look at the SPD modules on
the DIMM's and tell you the timing specs and you can compare them with
what's supposed to be in there.

Also, sometimes you can get around mis-matched memory by putting one of
the slower modules in the #1 DIMM slot.  That way the system will run
all the memory at that slower speed.  A CL-2 DIMM generally can run
without a problem at CL-3.

Tom