-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Case fan deal

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 23:06:47 -0400

Not at all.  The amount of air they pull in/push out should be as balanced
as possible, but that has little to do with their relative sizes to each
other.  If you look up any given fan, you'll see that the maker includes a
table showing how much air the fan can move given a certain voltage.  A
larger fan can move just as much air as a smaller fan without spinning
anywhere near as fast (and that also makes them much quieter).

Your case is likely designed with an 80mm fan in the bottom front of the
case to push cool incoming air towards the graphics & chipset "hot spot".
Most of the rest of the incoming air enters in and around the hard drive &
optical drive cages through slots and holes that are covered by the front
bezel.  For a better balanced air flow, it would be ideal to install another
fan right in front of the hard drive cage, but that's only semi-easy to do
if there are mounts for it already there.  Personally, I have no problem
taking a Dremel tool to a brand new case to create the openings and such I
need to establish balanced air flow.  Just remember that you also need to be
able to get power to those puppies once they're mounted.     lol

Peace,
Gman