-=PCTechTalk=- Re: CD-ROM help needed

  • From: "Sylvia" <sylviam@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <PCTechTalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 18:38:34 -0700

Thanks for trying to help, Albert. The older CD-ROM drive that works
belongs to my grandson, so I would have to put it back in HIS
computer...LOL. I have to wear a neck brace and that is part of the reason
I was hoping for a less physical test of whether or not the drive worked.
The only reason I suggested it was because if it proved that the CD-ROM was
bad...then I could probably safely order one. Like on eBay.

I went into the Device manager and checked to make sure it is set to open
the CD. But...I don't think that is the problem. Even if I try to
right-click-->"explore" the CD, the drive does not know that a CD is in the
drive. It says: "Q drive is not accessible. The device is not ready."

Perhaps I am not understanding what you meant. I did look where you
suggested in File Types, but didn't see anything for CD there.

Now using Aida once again, I checked my computer & my grandson's.

Grandson's computer (running W98)
Storage:
   Floppy Drive   GENERIC NEC FLOPPY DISK
   Disk Drive   GENERIC IDE DISK TYPE65
   Optical Drive   SONY CD-ROM CDU77E-Q (4x CD-ROM)

My computer: (running W98)
Storage:
   Floppy Drive   GENERIC NEC FLOPPY DISK
   Disk Drive   GENERIC IDE DISK TYPE01
   Disk Drive   IC35L080 AVVA07-0 (82 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)
   Disk Drive   IOMEGA ZIP 100
   Optical Drive   HP CD-Writer+ 9700k (16x/10x/40x CD-RW)
   Optical Drive   NEC CD-ROM DRIVE:28D

The one i am trying to fix: (running W95)
Storage:
   Floppy Drive   GENERIC NEC FLOPPY DISK
   Disk Drive   QUANTUM BIGFOOT_CY4320A (4 GB, 3600 RPM, Fast ATA-2)

So there is no "Generick IDE Disk type whatever.

Could it be that removing the Controller from the device manager on the
naughty computer have made this difference? Or is it because the 2 working
computers are W98 and the other is W95?

Still lost,

USA-Sylvia