-=PCTechTalk=- Re: CD ROM Drive-Update

  • From: GMan <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 22:42:30 -0500

Sandi,
    Had I known you have never been 'inside the cave' before, I would have
provided a head-mountable flashlight and a second set of batteries.  Since I
now know, allow me to present to you those items for your consideration.
:O)

    There's nothing sacred and very little that's magical inside a computer
case, even one that has been modified and extensively pimped out.  While
it's true that there's some really complicated technology behind the design
and manufacturing of some of the devices inside a computer, the components
themselves are extremely simplistic from a users vantage point.  For
example, one of the CPUs you can buy today contains well over 800 Million
transistors and is composed of four different processor cores.  It's
function is similar to, but not quite the same as, running a system using 4
matched CPUs.  However, "Who cares?" when all we need to do is line up the
arrows (one on the chip packaging and one on the mainboard's socket), lay it
in place and then lock it down with the provided lever.  The complicated
insides of these beasts don't mean diddly jack to the person physically
putting together a system.  Parts are carefully chosen for
performance/price/other and then everything becomes a sort of same ol', same
ol' as far as putting the parts together.  Every stick of RAM attaches to
the mainboard the same way.  Once you experience installing a single stick,
you pretty much have the whole "installing RAM" thing down to a boring
chore.

    My entire point here is that you (or anyone else) shouldn't be afraid to
pop open the case and have a look around.  Learn to identify various parts
of your system, including the flow of juice (electric power), data (the 1's
& 0's that make up our precious files) and air (that oh-so-important
invisible stuff that helps keep the temps inside the cave to a relatively
reasonable level).  Better yet, start learning how to do some of the more
basic computer maintenance chores typically left up to the overcharging
techs at your local computer store.  Stuff like occasionally blowing the
dust out of the case, cleaning off the case fans (remove them first), using
a q-tip to clean dirt off of heatsinks, and ummmm, reseating cables that
have been connected too long.        ;O}

    Besides, we're right here to help guide you through anything you need.

Peace,
GMan
http://reddit.com
"The only dumb questions are the ones we fail to ask!"