-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Another "technical," theoretical question

  • From: EddieB <fasteddieb216@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 23:06:01 -0400

Hey Larry,

I'm assuming you mean Vista's ReadyBoost feature.  If not, then please let
me know who makes it since "RamBoost" finds a lot of matches, but none that
I see sound like what you are talking about.

I personally don't think it's a good use of a Flash drive to put the swap
file (actually Pagefile) on it.  Here are a few things that I base my
opinion on, but I don't know how dated this info is, so some of these
limitations may have been overcome.

- Flash drives have a limited # of read/writes allowed, so will fail much
quicker with data that is updated often.
- Flash drives read random data quicker, but HD's are quicker at reading
larger chunks of sequential data.
- ReadyBoost does cache at least some of the Pagefile, so you are
duplicating data to use ReadyBoost and Pagefile on the same Flash drive.
- I've read a lot about ReadyBoost not really helping PC's with 4GB of RAM.
It sounds like ReadyBoost drastically improves PC's with 1GB and somewhat
improves PC's with 2GB of RAM.  I'm not too sure by how much.

I'm not sure what the limit is for the Pagefile, but I doubt you will need
one that is 4 times the amount of physical RAM.  If you need one that large,
then it would be very slow and you would be much better off getting more RAM
(and 64-bit OS if needed).  Don't forget that the more RAM you have, the
less you need the Pagefile, but that also depends on what programs you run
and how much of a memory hog they are.  Usually programs that use a lot of
RAM and/or disk space will have options for where to create its own temp
files/work files/swap files/virtual memory (these terms can sometimes all
mean basically the same thing - disk space for when there is not enough RAM
or for large temporary disk space).

I'm a firm believer that WinXP is safest with at least slightly larger
Pagefile than RAM and with 2GB or more RAM, you don't need any extra besides
that.  Well, actually if you do video editing or other programs that require
large amounts of RAM, then I would go higher.  If the only program you run
that requires a lot of space is Photoshop (for example), I would rather put
its first work area on the flash drive instead of the Pagefile.  If you have
less than 2GB of RAM, then ReadyBoost would probably be a good idea to use.
At 2GB RAM, I'm not sure if ReadyBoost would be worth it or not.

Ed