-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Adaware results ~ Malware

  • From: "Janet" <wightway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 18:26:20 +0100

Robert: =20

Yes, thanks, I thought it was serious.  I tend not to post anything of =
that nature that isn't.    I posted it because its quite clear it was a =
threat in 2003/4 and thought people in this list ought to be aware that =
it is still in the wild.

I didn't know that if I could delete what AdAware revealed when there is =
a Registry alteration;  this is also why I posted.  I did delete them =
however, ran another scan, just in case. Got a clear result, but, I am =
aware it might not have gone completely;  system restore.  If I find =
tomorrow that it is still there, then I will shut down the system =
restore. =20

I'm what we Brits call a belt and braces type of person, suspenders and =
belt to you, I guess. You need the suspenders in case your trousers fall =
down!    Having lost 2 hard drives in a year I don't want to lose =
another.
As a matter of interest I also run Spywareblaster and Spyware Guard,  in =
the background and Windows Defender, which is regularly updated.

I do scan online.  However, I didn't know about Microsoft's =
malwareremover.

I have no reason to suppose that my technician hasnt installed my router =
correctly as he is setting up business networks and installing routers =
nearly every day of his working life, however, I will make a note of it. =
=20

I don't know my way around my Netgear [wi-fi] router, can you tell me =
how to check that because my technician is in Portugal sunning himself =
right now. d;^)

Janet

----- Original Message -----=20
From: "Robert Andrew Dulaney Jr." <rdulaneyjr@xxxxxxxxx>

http://www.trendmicro.com/spyware-scan/ ,=20
>  http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ and =
http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.mspx and =
probably even a-squared. =20
>  tiny URLs:=20
>  http://tinyurl.com/f2eyc
>  http://tinyurl.com/u8mn
>  http://tinyurl.com/8codw
>  =20
>  it is a good practice to run more than one manufactures antivirus =
scan a week. same/same with antispy/trojan
>   =20
>  I don't mean to insult your intelligence but I have discovered that =
about 90% of all the systems I have worked on with routers the default =
router password has not been changed allowing "the whole world" to know =
the password.  I hope this is not the case in your case - though I =
thought it worth mentioning