-=PCTechTalk=- Re: AVG

  • From: "~OoO~" <SirTroth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 15:20:34 -0400

ZA can't block it if its coming in through an authorized port. For example,
if I send you a virus via email, ZA will let it in cause you're allowing
your mail client to accept connections from the net. ZA doesn't check the
contents of the packets, it checks to see if an application has permission
to access the net or accept connections from the net. But, yes, SOME virus
it may block, but not because they're viruses but rather because of the
method of it trying to infect you. Awhile ago, I think it may have been the
SOBIG virus, can't remember. But, the infected system would just do port
scans until it found a vulnerable machine. Once found, it would use an
exploit to send the virus to you. All you needed was a connection to the net
and you could get infected. It didn't matter whether you had your mail
client off or IE closed. If you were connected to the net, and your OS
wasn't patched for this exploit, you were getting hit. However, some people,
such as myself, had a firewall, ZA. And, in this instance, yes it stopped it
cause you got a notice form ZA telling you your system is trying to connect
to the net. I wasn't so lucky with a few systems at work, though.

--- Troth