-=PCTechTalk=- Off-topic, but important

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "PCTechTalk Group <FreeLists>" <PCTechTalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 18:44:16 -0500

A very good friend of mine sent this to me and it's such a great idea that I
thought I would share it with you all.  It's not going to help any paramedic
working on you in an emergency, but it could come in handy for hospital
personnel.

Apparently there are a couple of hoaxes going around looking to talk folks
out of doing this.  Acording to snopes, there's no reason not to do it.  A
link to the snopes reference is at the bottom if you'd like to read it
yourself.

**********************
I C E........ IN CASE OF EMERGENCY
Apparently this is a standard procedure all paramedics follow at the scene
of an accident when they come across your cell phone.

ICE - 'In Case of Emergency'

We all carry our mobile phones with names & numbers stored in its memory but
nobody, other than ourselves, knows which of these numbers belong to our
closest family or friends.
If we were to be involved in an accident or were taken ill, the people
attending us would have our mobile phone but wouldn't know who to call. Yes,
there are hundreds of numbers stored but which one is the contact person in
case of an emergency? Hence this 'ICE' (In Case of Emergency) Campaign

The concept of 'ICE' is catching on quickly. It is a method of contact
during emergency situations. As cell(mobile) phones are carried by the
majority of the population, all you need to do is store the number of a
contact person or persons who should be contacted during emergency under the
name 'ICE' ( In Case Of Emergency).

The idea was thought up by a paramedic who found that when he went to the
scenes of accidents, there were always mobile phones with patients, but they
didn't know which number to call. He therefore thought that it would be a
good idea if there was a nationally recognized name for this purpose. In an
emergency situation, Emergency Service personnel and hospital Staff would be
able to quickly contact the right person by simply dialing the number you
have stored as 'ICE.'

For more than one contact name simply enter ICE1, ICE2 and ICE3 etc. A great
idea that will make a difference!

Let's spread the concept of ICE by storing an ICE number in our Mobile
phones today!

Against the hoaxes:
http://www.snopes.com/crime/prevent/icephone.asp

Peace,