-=PCTechTalk=- Memorex CD RW

  • From: "Sammi" <sammi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 16:12:55 -0600

Hi,

   The pc I bought for my g'son about 1 1/2 years ago has a combo CD/DVD
which has quit working. I am urging him to call Dell about it, he burns so
much music on it that he may have worn it out. But he's working out of town
and wants to do it himself when he comes back. Dell has always been decent
to me about replacing hardware, they may or may not replace it. He will be
able to buy himself a new one if necessary.

   I did try to figure it out for him once. I used the troubleshooter on the
pc. Did all of the things it recommended, but so far nothing has fixed it.
It will not recognize that there is a disk, either audio or data, in the
drive at all. One of the things it recommended was to remove it in Device
Manager, which I thought sure would restore it, but alas! it did not.

   Anyway, in the mean time I thought that he could use a CD RW unit I had
bought a very long time ago.

When I still used W98FE...my CD Burner died. I bought a new Memorex #3202
3234 (MRX523252) from somewhere (don't even remember where), it came with
Nero 6 Memorex Suite. I never used it because I didn't realize it was a USB
unit and my old pc did not have a USB port? Jack?. Nor did I remember that I
purposely ordered one for W98/ME.

Last night I finally found it, still unused, but in a different box than it
came in. I tried to use the Nero 6 Memorex Suite CD to install it. But I got
an message that said: "Only for W98/ME. Do not install on any other OS."

Then I thought I could find a driver for XP, or a manual etc on the web.
After hours last night and today of searching different sites (most of whom
wished to sell me a program to update my drivers), I finally found a place
that had a download for the driver for this model unit. Downloaded it,
unzipped it into its own folder. Clicked on the setup.exe. Got the same
message as I got from the Nero 6 install CD, about it being only for W98/ME.

Here comes a silly part. Are ports and jacks the same thing? Bet they are
different, and I'm not sure which term to use, so if I describe one as port
when it should be jack...I am sorry : )

   On the back are an "Audio Out jack" which is round and might be used with
a cable to the sound card.
   There is a USB port (some place on one of the websites, I saw that this
unit was USB 2.0...I think I saw that, although I could have dreamed that
part, LOL).
   There's an Off/On switch which I know how to use!

And a jack that says "DC In" and it looks more like something that would be
plugged into the pc. I cannot remember if it came with that kind of cable or
not, and since it was packed in a box that was NOT the box it came in, it
wasn't with it. It ALMOST looks like a PS2 port, but of course it's not and
it is slightly different looking. Now I know that the DC part stands for
direct current, so would this unit receive power from the pc?

I have a Belkin cable which fits the unit, but might not be USB 2.0, I don't
know how I would know whether or not the port & the cable are 2.0 or 1.0. Or
if it really matters.

Shall I give up on installing this on his XP Home XP3 pc? I don't know where
else to look for the driver etc.

TIA,
Sammi