-=PCTechTalk=- Just recovered from a "serious error".

  • From: "Sandi Beach" <sandib2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "pctechtalk" <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 12:49:05 -0600

O.K. G. you need to come out of hiding now.  I need you!  Just kidding, sort
of, as I know you are busy with your job etc.
I decided to run some routine maintenance.  A couple of days ago I ran
CleanUp and CCleaner and all went well.  I had set a system restore before
running CCleaner but did not need it.  Today I decided to run Malwarebytes
so I updated it and that went o.k.  I noticed that I had checked for it to
scan C,D, and F.  F is my backup exterior drive but I saw no need to scan D
or E so I unchecked D and started the scan.  My computer immediately through
up a black screen saying "if I had not seen this screen before to shut down
and restart. If that did not work I was to hit F8 and boot into safe mode"
There was lots more but that was basically what it was saying.  I shut off
my computer at the tower, waited a few minutes and started up again.  Got
the same screen so I shut down again and started up, tapping F8, and I got a
screen showing it would start using the last known good configuration.  I
could not get the arrows to work and the 30 second count down was not
counting down.  So----I shut down again and pulled the power plugs, waited
about 5 minutes and tried again.  This time the last good configuration
thing came up and this time it started counting down and it did boot up
normally. I decided it might be a good time to go into safe mode and run
malwarebytes so I dug out the instructions you had given to Pam back in
July. I did the msconfig, boot ini., safe mode and I ran malwarebytes from
there.  It came up clean.  Then I had this little notice that I was using
selective start up so I went back to msconfig and chose normal start up and
re-booted again.  It booted up a little slow but everything seems to be o.k.
I did get a pop up saying my system had recovered from a serious error. I
tried to capture the details with print screen so I will now see if I
managed to do that:  Nope, no luck.
Is there anything else I can do or need to do?
I have not installed anything new except for about a week ago I re-installed
Hallmark Card Studio and have been learning to use it's address book. I have
one address in there that is apparently corrupt as every time I click on it
I get a message that the program will have to shut down.
While in safe mode I tried to remove that address but I got the same
response.  Could that possibly be causing this current problem?  Would
running Scan Disk help get rid of the "bad address"?
Hoping I can stay up and running until you have time to advise me or take a
look under the hood.
Sandi

in the Subject.