-=PCTechTalk=- Group vs. IRC summarization

  • From: "Bashful Bob" <Bashfulbob@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 23:58:30 -0600

Hi
ok GUYS
Round 15 bell has rung

Allow me to summarize (in my humble opinion), Bob (BC) and BOB(KC) by
BOB(BB) <chuckle>

IRC
Advantages
1) It will allow someone to walk someone else thru a procedure in real time.
Example: Gman walked me through setting up my dual boot machine using
partition magic and helped me overcome my fears. The first for me. We used
ICQ.
2) Can have discussions in real time.
3) Can have popular times for gatherings
4) possible attendance by others not having a computer agenda

Disadvantages
1) No real good way to archive conversations
2) No way for people not in the room to become aware (notified) of the
discussions
3) Not all people will be on at any given time
4) Other means available for real time personal help
5) reaching someone could be hit or miss, means waiting around

PCTechTalk
Advantages
1) Achieves of ever email by subject heading
2) Every member is apprised of discussion whether they are present of not
via email, digest (will not miss out on ANY discussion)
3) Can reach a particular person via email to the group
4) Established group

Disadvantage
1) real time help has to be through other means
2) real time help takes a greater amount of time vs. ICQ, IRC, instant
messenger but can be arranged
3) Sifting through all the emails can be arduous
4) sometimes unnecessary lengthy emails

Now it is time for the judges (individuals) to tally their score cards and
make a decision.

NOTE:
BOB(BC) if you free so strongly about an IRC chat room, set it up. A Mod has
given you permission to let the group know about it. There are other puter
groups that you could solicit individual participation from for membership
and/or participation

Give it a go and see what happens, my personal recommendation.

I have made an endeavor to be fair to both sides and non committable. Hope
this was achieved.

In any event, this is my last word on this topic.

Dang if I didn't even trim :-)

Life is what happens in between plans.

Virus free email by Norton's
This message is intended for the sole use of the individual and/or entity to
confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are
not the addressee, or authorized to receive this on behalf of the addressee,
you are hereby notified that you may not use, copy, disclose, or distribute
to anyone this message or any part thereof. If you have received this in
error, please immediately advise the sender by e-mail and delete this
information. Thank you