-=PCTechTalk=- Group Moderation WAS: Re: And it starts again

  • From: "Don101" <don101@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 11:18:19 -0400

Sandi,

A Group is a universe unto it self.  The owner creates it in his own
image and has absolute and total freedom to do whatever he wants
whenever he wants.  Including breaking the rules or making exceptions
for a member to break a rule.

Group owners devise a set of rules for the operation of their group
because they have a vision of what, when, why, how and who will
interface within the group.

Some owners are more strict than others on adherence to the rules.
Some rules may be more strictly enforced than others.  This all
depends on what the rule is and why it exists.

For example, a stationery group may prohibit plain text messages
and/or require or prohibit certain color combinations such as yellow
font on dark blue background or black font on dark blue background.

Violation of the rules, for whatever reason can result in a member
being placed on moderation, being removed from group or even being
banned from the group.

Some owners are kind and benevelent.  Some are outright &^%$#
dictators.

In some cases owners will make exceptions if prior notice is given and
permission is granted.  If a transgression occurs with permission, OK.
If same transgression occurs without permission the member is
disciplined.

It is possible that the Excel group has a strict rule against any
topic except Excel and that prohibition specifically includes "test"
messages as well as spam and other off topic messages.

Unfortunately, an overwhelming majority of posters (in my groups
anyway) that break the rules once will do so on a regular basis and it
is good policy to be strict on enforcement.  Even to the extreme of
banning someone on their first offense.

Of all my rules the only violation that will result in an immediate
and permanent ban is to post an attack against a person instead of the
message.  I simply will not allow flames, bashings or even rudely
worded complaints about what gets posted.

Since my groups are all 100% moderated (with extremely few exceptions)
that sort of message never sees the light of day and the poster gets
banned from all of my groups, not just the one where he violated the
rules.

Don