-=PCTechTalk=- Fw: [His_Helping_Hands] Yahoo and privacy!

  • From: "Judith" <jtb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 18:01:00 -0700

Even though this list is no longer on Yahoo -- I thought this
might be of interest.

Got it from a list moderator on one of my yahoogroup lists.

Judith

Some of the new tricks of Yahoo, but I have provided the
solution for you.

      Yahoo is now using something called "Web Beacons" to track
Yahoo
      Group users around the net and see what you're doing and
where you
      are going similar to cookies. Yahoo is recording
      every website and every group you visit. Take a look at
their updated privacy
      statement: http://privacy.yahoo.com/privacy

      About half-way down the page, in the section on cookies,
you will
      see a link that says web beacons. Click on the phrase web
beacons.
      That will bring you to a paragraph entitled "Outside the
Yahoo
      Network."

      In this section you'll see a little "click here to opt
out"
      link that will let you "opt-out" of their new method of
snooping.

      Once you have clicked that link, you are exempted. Notice
the
      "Success" message on the top of the next page. Be careful
because
      on that page there is a "Cancel Opt-out" button that, if
clicked,
      will *undo*! * the opt-out.

      Feel free to forward this to others.

      God Bless,