-=PCTechTalk=- FW: Works 9.0 OEM for $16.99

  • From: larrysoutherland@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2008 04:38:21 +0000

From: "southerland" <southerland@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: jessica@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: larrysoutherland@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Works 9.0 OEM for $16.99
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2008 04:33:40 +0000

Dear Jessica:

You were so very helpful the last time that I contacted you that I have been
singing both your and RoboBargain's praises all over the place.  I would ask
one more small piece of assistance, if possible.  As you know, I recently
purchased a copy of Works Suite 2006 (which has, I  believe, version 8.5 of
Works itself).  Can I either install Works 8.5 in Works Suite 2006 first and
then "upgrade" to the OEM edition of Works 9.0 OR install Works 9.0 and then
install the rest of the components of Works Suite?  Are the claims that
Works 9.0 can open and save Microsoft Office Documents (including
Wordprocessing, Spreadsheet and Database files) in Office 2000/2003 or 2007
(and vice-versa)?  I have some friends in a listserve who might be very
interested in the product (especially at that price) if they can open, work
on and save their Office 9x and 200x files and then save them back to the
same format.

As always, your kind assistance is sincerely appreciated.

Larry Keith Southerland

Here's what I have found on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Works

Note the information about conversion programs to convert Works documents to
Office and vice-versa; HOWEVER:

http://www.microsoft.com/products/works/ProductDetails.aspx?pidabþatures

"Share & edit Works Word Processor and Spreadsheet files with Microsoft®
Office Word and Microsoft® Office Excel and vice versa," which implies that
one no longer requires a third-party conversion program.

Any ideas or suggestions?