-=PCTechTalk=- External HDD format-- Sandy

  • From: "Roger" <rcleavitt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "PCTT" <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 08:02:45 -0700

I downloaded the Super Fdisk image file (iso) and burned it to CD.
Stuck the CD in a machine running XPPro and booted.
It booted up into super fdisk displaying the disk structure of the machine
and offers any of the actions you would expect to find in the old FDisk for
DOS.
I don't have an external drive attached to that machine but I could easily
delete the extended drives, logical drives and their partitions.
Since Windows hasn't loaded yet the files on an external drive aren't locked
so that shouldn't be a problem. If you remove all the partitions the
compressed files should disappear along with any other files that may exist
on that drive.
Once clean you should be able to format the drive from within Windows as you
would any other drive!
With a clean drive you no longer need a low level format.

Sounds like a plan to me?

"From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with
which I will not put."
  - Sir Winston Churchill