-=PCTechTalk=- CD-Writer Help Needed Please

  • From: "Sammi" <sammi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 17:00:53 -0600

Hi all,

I'm having a problem with my HP 9700 CD-writer. I have had it for a few
years and never had any problems until lately.
It doesn't matter if it is music or data files. I'm not really doing
anything differently than I have always done and I'm using the same
computer, too. Hopefully the problems I am experiencing won't require my
trying to find the money for a new one, I'm on a very limited income.

Using EZ-CD Creator 5 with the updated files from Roxio
W98 first edition
320 MB RAM
80 gig HD Dr

For the last month or so whenever I try to burn a CD on a CD-R (the only
kind
I have ever used) I get the following message:

"The disc in the recorder is not the proper media for this project.
Insert a blank CD or CD with enough free space to record the project."

I have uninstalled the software and reinstalled it (Roxio's EZ CD Creator)
which is the only program I have ever used.

Naturally, I have checked to make sure that the files I have chosen to burn
are not more than the CD can hold.
I have also purchased new blanks to make sure that it wasn't the remaining
blanks I had on hand.
I used the lowest write-speed available-2x thinking that maybe my system
wasn't fast enough.
I wouldn't think that using a faster write-speed would help a bit.

The drive will allow me to open other CDs created on it, which had left the
session open.
However, yesterday I created a new folder on one of those. Then everything
froze up solid.
In order to continue, I removed that CD using a paper clip...and now today,
everything that was on that CD has disappeared. Reckon I shouldn't have done
that!

I don't really know what else to try.
Hmm. Just a thought...I should probably buy a CD cleaning kit.  Even though
that is a good idea period, I don't think it would help this problem. I am
afraid it is the CD-Writer itself.

If anyone has any suggestions I would be very glad to try them hoping to
solve this problem.

TIA,

Sammi